22 April 2015

Homesteading buddies?

While I dearly love my DH he is not as into homesteading as I am. He loves the product, but with a demanding job he just doesn't have the time. He understands that this is the life I want and he is content to live it with me. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he does nothing! In fact he does a lot. Right now we're building a chicken coop together, he helps with all the cost analysis of everything, he helps me pick out things, he chops down dead trees, chops wood, keeps up with all my crazy ideas, and DIYs things with me and of course, most importantly he tests all my recipes. HA HA. But, seriously, he loves me enough to come along on my wild and crazy ride. He is working 12 hour days for 6 days a week this whole month and that doesn't give him time to do much at all to do anything. Yet, it is spring and it is the time of the most work or nothing else will get done for the rest of the year. I have planted trees, bred and raised babies, planted a lot in the garden and tried to get some flower bulbs in the group so the entryway to our house looks inviting to people coming inside or relaxing to my DH and I.

With all that being said, I would love to have a homesteading buddy. Someone to share the trials and part of the workload. Someone to half the rewards of meat and veggies with, someone who could watch our place when we decide to go visit family in other states.

I only have rabbits and chickens at the moment, but don't let that fool you. They still require care and attention everyday. Gardening takes up a lot of time and planning as well. After all of the planting is over I begin harvesting after a time and then I start with canning. There is always something to keep me hopping. Having an extra set of hands would be wonderful sometimes. It's just not in the cards at the moment I suppose.  I do have an amazing neighbor who shares recipes with me and even gave me some sourdough starter. She and her husband watch our animals when we are away. Although they have their own thing going on, I am immensely grateful to them for their help and support.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephani! That is so sweet! You are an amazing neighbor too. And shopping buddy. It was fun shopping the outlet mall with you. :) Growing your own food and raising your own animals is a lot of work. We appreciate you taking Henny Penny off our hands, we were getting too many mouths to feed. I'm thrilled she has started laying eggs for you. It probably just took getting used to her new home. We hope you will also be able to take our little piggy as well. :) We thoroughly enjoy watching your animals while you're away. You do the same for us - and for that we are very grateful! Good luck finding your homesteading buddy!

    ReplyDelete