05 November 2014

The difference between self-sufficiency and being God-sufficient

You hear a lot these days about being self-sufficient. Especially in the thoughts of people that I talk to or read their blogs. People are worried. They are not happy with the situation in our nation. The 'recession' is over, but people are still hurting. I see it everywhere. The people that sit a few rows up from us are loosing their house to foreclosure. The lady that helps you at the bank is getting a divorce because they have grown apart while her husband has not had a job to support their family. All around us people are broken and hurting. This isn't a new thing. Long ago people were broken and hurting. It's part of being an imperfect person in a broken world. Jesus came to save us all and give us peace.
But I want to share something else with you. A lot of people think that "Money is the root of all evil." I'm not sure where this idea came from, that's like saying that a hammer is evil because it might be used to hurt someone. That's silly. The correct quote/bible verse is that "The love of Money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."  1 Timothy 6:10
This means that loving something other than God is the real problem here.
Also in Philippians 4:10-19, Paul expresses that he has found that God is the true supplier of his needs. Elijah was fed by the ravens in the OT (1 Kings 17) morning and night. God cared about this man no more than He cares for each of us. He will supply our needs.

Fredrick K.C Price has this to say about God's sufficiency: "Let this Scripture [He means Philippians 4:12-13 here.] be a guiding light to understanding God's will on the subject of prosperity. It tells us yes (we can have riches), and no (do not trust them). With the mind of Christ (see Phil. 2:1-5), we will never become high minded if blessed with wealth. Here is the assurance that if our lives are geared to the Word of God, then, through Christ, we can experience either financial wealth or temporary setback, but we will still be steadfast in our living, all because our trust will be only in Him. If the economy should dissolve tomorrow, God's people would not be rendered inoperative, because God is our source. He can keep us through times of scarcity as well as in times of plenty. He fed Elijah by sending ravens to bring him food in the morning and evening (1 Kings 17:2-6). God can do that now. He is the same today as He was then. (1Tim. 6:17/Duet. 8:18)"

From 'God's plan for prosperity-God wills to insure our sufficiency for every good work' sectioned "Riches are not to be trusted." Red added is my clarification.

So, I aim to be dependent on Him; And not myself. He who gives us every good thing. All things are from Him. And He loves us more that we could ever know.

I realize that while I am stocking up supplies in my home for those 'just in case' things. God has given these blessings to us. I believe that God wants us to be smart about what we have been given and be good stewards of His property and gifts within us. If I use them to the best of my ability, I believe that He is pleased with me. We are to enjoy Christ's peace and purpose in life regardless of the circumstances.

None of this means that I do not plan to grow a garden this year or plan on getting chickens in the spring. What it does mean is that I acknowledge that everything is given by God to us and I remember to praise Him and thank Him for the blessings that we are given. I encourage you to do the same.

This post is meant as a stimulant toward believing in Christ's sufficiency in facing all life's circumstances. If you have any questions please feel free to email me or leave a comment here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie! I love this post and your blog. Talk to you soon! Kim

    ReplyDelete